stacy was here (and probably spinning....)

 

 

eye

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stacy Was Here :
Back at the Beginning

Sunday, February 17, 2002

In my Harlem Renaissance class we're reading Cane by Jean Toomer, and I found a few passages in there that I like, so here they are:

There is no such thing as happiness. Life bends joy and pain, beauty and ugliness, in such a way that no one may isolate them. No one should want to. Perfect joy, or perfect pain, with no contrasting element to define them, would mean a monotony of consciousness, would mean death. Not happy, Muriel. Say that you have tried to make them create. Say that you have used your own capacity for life to cradle them. To start them upward-flowing. Or if you cant say that you have, then say that you will. My talking to you will make you aware of your power to do so. Say that you will love, that you will give yourself in love-- [sic]

....

Love is a dry grain in my mouth unless it is wet with kisses.

Still not finished with it, so I'll probably find more. Should be getting the books I ordered on Monday, so Woohoo to that. Also, I'm hoping to get those pictures scanned later today after dinner. No promises, though. Finally managing to get some of my homework done.

Looks like OTB might be able to come out with my sister. I hope so because I don't want her flying out alone, and because I know she adores him, and then he can meet some of my friends out here. Not sure what the likelihood is yet, though, so we'll see.

posted by Cat Named Eggroll @ 12:56 PM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Facebook Profile

     


    My Flickr Photos



    Powered by Blogger

    blogger counter