stacy was here (and probably spinning....)

 

 

eye

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stacy Was Here :
Back at the Beginning

Thursday, June 14, 2001

I am loathe to admit this, but I've had internet since the day after my last post and just haven't blogged in all this time because I haven't really felt like it. I'm not sure anyone actually even reads this, but for the sake of argument I'll just assume that anyone has noticed, and to that person I make the confession that I've simply not been as enamoured with the internet now that I am home and have a mode of transportation that does not deteriorate the soles of my shoes.

As a matter of fact, the only thing thats really had any vast presence in my thoughts is the prospect of attending grad school in the UK somewhere. To be perfectly plain, even I'm not sure why I am so fond of this particular region. My uncle believes that I was King Arthur in a past life. Whether this is true or no, I can't help but admit that my level of affinity for so distant a country is a bit unusual at best. The prospect of visiting there in January is making me near giddy even now, and I hate to admit it, but I'm actually a bit afraid that I'll be assigned the trip to Italy. My friends have pointed out to me that one of my school mates (who happens to enjoy making my flesh crawl with irritation) might be going on the London trip, but I honestly don't care. Even she could not possibly ruin it for me, because I fully intend to pretend that she doesn't exist at all, and to throw myself into the city. And if I can achieve my goal of going to grad school there, I know it will be wonderful. I love damn near everything about the culture of the brittish isles: the comedy, the arts, the wit, and most of all the importance put on education. It will be challenging, competitive, and maybe even nerve-wracking, but above all it will be the one thing that I've never found in the United States: a school that actually gives me a run for my money. All my life school has been mildly time consuming at best. The school I attend now is the nearest I've found to actual difficulty. Granted, I put more into my studies than I ever have before, and I'm not at a 4.0, that I'll admit. But I spend significantly less time studying than most of my peers, and I'm on the Deans List anyway. This isn't really a bad thing, I'm sure it would be similar at any school in the nation. If I really applied myself next semester, and performed up to my abilities, I would have a 4.0, without question. The only thing that would change this would be to change my focus to something science or math related, but as English is my passion, thats simply not going to happen. I want to go to school in the UK because I know it would present a challenge to me, a challenge which I would enjoy conquering. I know how arrogant this sounds of me, but it really isn't if I explain it a little differently. I don't know everything, in fact my knowledge looks rather more like a fishing net than any solid surface. But the reason there are such mammoth gaps in my knowledge is pure ignorance in those areas. I simply haven't studied them, either because I just haven't gotten to them yet, or because they completely fail to interest me. No, I do not know everything. I am simply good at learning. It's what I do best. My brain was designed for it.

The other thing that I think attracts me to the UK is it's priorities, which are far different than those of the U.S. Granted the UK is a powerful place, but they still focus more on education, culture, and intelligence than the U.S. probably ever will. If we valued these things, then the man some call "president" would be out picking fruit in some field somewhere, and not stalking around the white house with his knuckles dragging behind him on the ground. More than that, our nations teachers would be making more than the corrupt CEO's of the energy and fuel companies who have been working for decades to keep more environmental friendly options from seeing the light of day. I recognize that I am probably being a bit idealistic here, and maybe one of these days I'll have the same distaste for the UK that I have for the US, but the only way to find out is to experience it first hand. Suffice it to say that I've lost a lot of respect for this country in the course of my life, and it makes me wonder what our veterans were fighting for. I'm willing to bet it wasn't a nation that feeds illiteracy and honors it's past war heros by subsidizing weapons sales to third-world countries. There has to be a better place than this.

Moving on, tonight I saw A Knights Tale, with Sings with her Spirit. A really funny, engaging movie, I felt. The music was more distracting than it was appropriate, but a good story, none the less. This makes me excited about reading Chaucer next semester, as I've read that it's based on one of his works.

posted by Cat Named Eggroll @ 2:34 AM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Facebook Profile

     


    My Flickr Photos



    Powered by Blogger

    blogger counter