stacy was here (and probably spinning....)

 

 

eye

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stacy Was Here :
Back at the Beginning

Wednesday, January 09, 2002

This post brought to you straight from the city of London! WooHoooo! But seriously, though, is this indicative of an addiction? That I'm spending time on the internet even when I'm visiting a foreign country? We'll gloss over that for now...

I am having a fantabulous time here, seriously. London is an amazing city. Even though being an American here is like having a disease, people are still polite to me even after I've opened my mouth to speak. They're even nicer when we're not in a giant group walking around like a herd of cattle. Today we visited the Tower of London, and even got to see Thomas More's cell, which is normally closed to the public. We were looking for it, so I asked one of the Yeoman Warders where it was, and after a brief conversation he made a few calls and pulled a few strings, and we got to see it after all. He even offered to show us where More is burried, but by then it was time to meet back up with the rest of the herd. So, as promised, let me just say that the people who work at the Tower, especially the ones I talked to, are the Nicest People Ever.

After the Tower we went to the All Hallows Church, which is right across the street, where Samuel Pepys saw the Great Fire in 1666 (it was 1666, right? I think I'm right...) Then we commenced chasing Dr. Adam around the city for the next hour or so. I swear, the man has to be in his 70's, chain smokes like a chimney, and drinks like 11 pots of coffee per day, and he walks so fast that the rest of us were running to catch up with him, and it was difficult even then. I hope I'm that spry when I'm his age, seriously. We saw many religious buildings, a few gardens, and other blurry places, and eventually made it to the Museum of London in a grumbling heap of sore-footed students. At one point I was whistled at on the street. I know it was directed at me because, in our chasing of Dr. Adam, we'd split apart and I was alone at that point. Of course, I had no time to look at my admirer, but c'est la vie. The museum was pretty cool, though I must confess that by then I was too tired to pay much attention to anything. After that we were on our own to wander back to our hotel via the tube, which was another adventure I'll not go into. Suffice it to say that I think no matter what we do, being Stupid Americans is so imbedded in our natures that it's almost impossible not to fall victim to it sometimes. We've even started talking about it like a disease, really. "Oh no! I'm having an inflamation of the tourist!" *ghasp!*

After making it back to the hotel, and resting for a while, we came here, to this internet cafe to make contact with the outside world again. I think I'll be able to check my email and post a few times at least while I'm here as the prices are actually very reasonable. The keyboards are different from the ones back home, though, but it's kind of cool cause I can do this £, heehee.

posted by Cat Named Eggroll @ 9:37 AM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Facebook Profile

     


    My Flickr Photos



    Powered by Blogger

    blogger counter