stacy was here (and probably spinning....)

 

 

eye

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stacy Was Here :
Back at the Beginning

Wednesday, May 01, 2002

I talked to my uncle the other night, to finalize our plans for the Gigantic Cross-Country RoadtripTM (or at least get on the same page.) He'll be leaving California on May 10th to head out here, with an estimated date of arrival somewhere on the 13th or the 14th. My last final is on May 13th, which leaves ample time to pack up the van and get the hell out of dodge... So in less than two weeks I'll be leaving here, forever. In all likelihood I may never set foot on this campus again.

So naturally I've been thinking about this a lot. This place has been a defining factor in my life for the past two years (well, 18 out of 24 months of it, anyway.) It's kind of strange to think that I'll probably never see the professors that I have so much respect for, or most of the students here. It's wierd to think that next year, I won't looking at the world through Chatham goggles. Next year I'll be on a bigger, co-ed campus 2500 miles away, and that's kind of scary. As much as I bitch about it, this school really is a pretty close-knit community. Even the people I don't talk to know my name here. By most definitions, Humboldt is still a small school, for public schools. But I doubt that I'll know everyone on a campus populated by 8,000 full-time, undergraduate students. It's a little unnerving to think of it in those terms.

I know I'll make friends next year. All said, I'm really pretty good at meeting people. But it bothers me to think that I might lose touch with some of my friends here. Even if we were graduating together that would be possible, but I'm sad to be leaving them so soon. They've shared the ups and downs of my life for 2 years now, and that is completely irreplaceable. New friends I meet won't have been there when I was in London, or watched ghostbusters from the safety of my cubby. And they certainly won't have driven me and my sister up to Mount Washington on the last night of her visit. And I sincerely doubt they'd have the guts to wear a zebra-print dress and tinsel on their heads. I have changed a lot over the past two years, and my friends here have been the primary witnesses and colaborators in that. Even if we lose touch, I will never forget them, or their impact on me.

Nostalgia aside, though, I really am looking forward to going home. I don't suppose it would be too much to hope for a little bonding with my uncle while we're stuck in a mini-van together for 3 solid days? Only time will tell with that, of course. Methinks the conversation (if any) will feature aliens, the coming apocolypse, and things I should do to improve myself. I want to curl up on my couch. It's kind of ridiculous, I guess, that I associate that stupid couch with the comfort of being at home, but considering that that's where I usually sleep, and tend to be quite comfortable, well, it's just my couch. And right now, it sounds like the only place on earth where I can really de-stress.

In other news, a friend of mine gave me some Iron pills (which the dr I saw here on campus recommended, as I seem to be getting pretty anemic.) I took one today, hasn't been any huge marked improvement, though I do seem to be less sleepy than usual. I've got 3 more, so hopefully I'll see more of an improvement and be up to walking to the drug store to pick up some more.

posted by Cat Named Eggroll @ 9:53 PM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home