stacy was here (and probably spinning....): the loooong weekend

 

 

eye

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stacy Was Here :
Back at the Beginning

Monday, March 30, 2009

the loooong weekend

So this weekend I went to my sisters cheer competition. This was the nationals level, so pretty intense for her, with a lot of high-caliber performances. Some not so high caliber performances as well, but at any rate you have to be pretty good to compete at this level, and I'm proud of her and the other girls for making it so far.  Two groups (both freshman groups) from Cal won their divisions and are national champions.  Two other groups (varsity song intermediate and crowdleading) made it to the finals and got 2nd and 4th, respectively.  Didn't take a lot of pictures, but I couldn't pass up the mascot heads laying around like hunting trophys:

And here is a photo from the middle of the first crowdleading performance, before they made finals.  I didn't take any pics from the second performance because I was far too busy screaming along with them and watching them all go.

Most of the time I was busy up in the seats knitting and doing a bit of good-natured shit talking on the other teams, providing some much needed comic relief for a lot of very tired cheer moms and dads.  Plus some of the other teams were bastards and totally deserved it.  Just saying.  I got a lot done on Louisa... here's a pic from earlier on in the weekend....

And here it is this morning.  I transitioned to the smaller needles, at which point I was able to try it on, only to find out it's about 4 inches too big on me.  Majorly bummed about that, though of course my mom is very cheerful because it means she'll get to have it when it's finished.  We might get me more of the yarn (in a different color, I think, this one is getting old for me at this point) so that I can make myself another in a smaller size.  Good thing is that this pattern has 5 sizes, and I will be making the second smallest for myself, which is a bit of an ego boost.  I may have lost a significant amount of weight, but I still, in my head, feel like I'm the same size I was two years ago.... that means I overestimate when I chose sizes in patterns, and also probably that my mom is destined to inherit more knitted items from me at some point.

This weekend was also the huge parking lot yarn sale from Newton's, which I am told happens twice a year, and me and my mom made out like bandits.  It's a little daunting, because most of the yarn isn't labled, so I have no idea what most of it is actually made from, but we figure if we dry clean everything it should be safe, and it's all so lovely that we couldn't pass it up.  Here is my haul:

This is a lovely salmon colored yarn, I think theres probably some cotton and nylon in it, just to judge by the feel of it.  Half of it is barber-pole with a slightly darker color, and half of it is just single colored... not sure how thats actually distributed in the skein, yet, but we'll see when I wind it into a ball.

Here is a giant pile of cream-colored cotton mystery blend.  There is a ton of this, 3 giant skeins, but I figure I can make a few different things from it and it might be good for dying.  I might make this with it, if I can get the right gauge.

This stuff is cotton sock yarn, and it was seriously $1 a skein.  Might dye it before I knit with it, but I'm not sure yet.

This is a grey-blue cotton yarn, no idea yet what it will be.

And this is a total mystery to me, fiber wise, but it's a gorgeous tourquoise/blue and bronze barber pole kind of yarn, and I am a fool when it comes to blues mixed with gold or bronze, not sure why.  I don't have a flying clue what I'm going to do with it, it's pretty thin (maybe sock weight, perhaps), and I got three skeins of it because it's so lovely.  Here's the best part.  I got, what, reasonably a years worth of yarn here to knit with, seriously a trash bag full of the stuff, and it came to $25, of which we were only charged $20.  Seriously, ONE of these skeins would cost that much, conservatively.  My mom also got a trashbag full, which maybe I'll take pictures of later.

We also went to Downtown Disney and went to BASIN, which is one of my favorite places.  They have the most delicious bath and body stuff, and they make these grab bags that cost $10 but contain at least $25 worth of their stuff.  I did the math on mine and I think there's at least $35 worth of stuff in it, and it all smells glorious and I can't wait to use it.  What can I say, for the most part I'm low maintenance, but I am still a girly girl, and I still love things that smell nice and feel good.  Can't wait to have a use for the massage bar, lol.

With all the picture taking, Franny was a bit jealous, especially since she missed me all weekend, so I got a picture of her:


And here's one of her from before I left.  She likes to sit at the window and wait for this ginger cat to come by, and then she stands at the door and they just sort of watch each other for a while.  I think I heard him last week and it sounded like he was in heat.  Maybe they have a thing going on?


Also, because I missed it, here is the Fridy5.
  1. To whom do you normally turn when you need to complain about something?
    Depends, and at the moment my people to turn to list is shorter than I thought it would be at this point... Usually my mom, Jen or Chels.  I talk to Michelle a lot, too, but she's got enough to worry about and I usually just suck it up when I think about how much more crap she has to deal with than me.
  2. Which annual season-turning do you enjoy the most?
    I love the transition into autumn, and then autum into winter.  I've always loved the dark part of the year best, especially when in Califonia when it cools off a bit.  When I lived back east, I love the first few bits of spring coming out, until the allergies kicked in.
  3. Where can you get a really good turnover?
    Not sure as I don't really go for them much... I'm sure I could make a good one, though.
  4. What’s employee turnover like where you work?
    I don't have a job yet :(
  5. One of the Wonder Twins could turn into any form of water, while the other could turn into any animal. Which of these powers would be more useful to you?
    I would want to be able to turn into an animal, especially one that could fly (most likely an owl, which will surprise no one.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

posted by Cat Named Eggroll @ 2:12 PM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home